HOW TO USE A SPADE BIT WITH A DRILL DRIVER
If you haven’t had much experience using a spade bit before, it can take a bit of time to learn how to get the most out of the piece. In this video, Andrew covers his top tips to get the perfect finish every time.
SETTING UP THE SPADE BIT
Before you get started, make sure you’ve set up the drill correctly.
- When attaching the spade bit, it’s important to make sure the blade is secured in the chuck.
- The drill has a few different settings so before you begin, make sure you set it to the drill function.
- The spade bit requires plenty of speed, so be sure to set the drill in second gear.
WHILE IN USE
Follow these tool tip techniques and you’ll be a DIY pro in no time.
- When holding the drill, use one hand to hold onto the drill and control the trigger and use the other hand to place downward pressure onto the drill.
- Make sure the spade bit is spinning at full speed before you start applying downward pressure to your workpiece.
- Keep the drill straight the whole time you are drilling.
- If you are finding it hard to apply pressure to the drill, you may have the drill too far away from your body. By keeping the drill closer to your body you’ll have more control over the product while in use.
- Just before the drilling of the hole is complete, slightly reduce pressure to obtain a better finish for your project.